Saturday, September 24, 2011

You Make Me 
Fall out of bed.
Sing like a bird.
Dizzy in my head.
Spin like a record.

I'm 2 hours and 46 minutes into being 18, and I am sitting in pitch dark typing this in case my grandfather stomps out and starts yelling at me to get into bed.

18 years old is a surreal, strange age to be. I'm on the cusp of womanhood- imma real woman now- watch me own this, man. Peter posted a FB picture of me years ago where I was wearing this t-shirt and completely disastrous pair of mannish looking pants that skimmed right below my knees and I was grinning like an idiot. I looked so completely blissful in my own little fashion timbuktu land.

Like Marshall, I WILL MAKE A SWEEPING DECLARATION TO BE MORE WOMANLY SO THAT I WILL NOT DIE A SAD WIDOW. And like Marshall, my friends will mock me and declare that my nature in etched in the middle syllabus of my name and all is futile.

But unlike Marshall, I will be the epitome of 18 year old womanhood. Just watch me.

I spent a first moments of my 18 year old-ness jogging my my favourite boy. My papa and I went for a brilliant midnight run and we ran till I couldn't feel my lungs and the dark night air washed away my worries. Then my sister gave me the best present of all- a hug.

And she told me: "Jie, I really really love you. And  I'm sorry if I hurt you. If you go abroad to study I'm going to miss you terribly."

And then I said: "I love you, Mei."

And then she said: "I love you more."

And hence my birthday was made. 



That's all I need, I think. My family, my friends (some who actually remember my birthday, which is honestly something that really touches me because I always try so hard to remember birthdays but fail so I understand the difficulty), and God.

My other favourite man is my Gong Gong. He is the cutest, loveliest, most belligerent man I have ever had the fortune to meet.

Carissa, the beautiful child, wanted to surprise me on Monday in school for my birthday- and she called home to ask my Aunty what type of cake I preferred.
ALAS ALAS-

my gongong picked up. As a third person spectator who was sitting at the dining table, I imagine the conversation went something like:

Cars: (Disguising her voice as a boy's) Hello, can I speak to Aunty Yeni please?

Gong Gong: (Bellows in his semi-deafness) HELLO MARCUS? AUNTY YENI IS NOT AT HOME SHE ALREADY GO AND FETCH YOU.

Cars: Um. No no, I want to speak to Aunty Yeni. I'm not Marcus.

Gong Gong: WHAT?

Cars: I'm Amanda's friend Carissa but...

Gong Gong: *Cuts her off because he cannot really hear much* AMANDA ITS YOUR FRIEND, THE CARISSA GIRL!

Cars: No, no! We want to surprise her on monday with some cake...

Gong Gong: SHE WANTS TO SURPRISE YOU ON MONDAY WITH SOME CAKE.

Cars: *Dies inside*

Gong Gong: *Perhaps he realises his folly* (Whispers very audibly) Your friend wants to surprise you on monday with some cake. 

I grabbed the phone and started to laugh and laugh and laugh till I nearly choked on my spit and fainted and Carissa was sad because "My first time planning a surprise for anyone, and what a terrible, terrible failure
 :(" 


But I said it was the funniest thing that ever happened to me and that she just made my day and would she please still surprise me on Monday- and I promised I would be very very surprised.

I love my GongGong and Carissa so much I could burst with Happiness. I really could.
Here's a picture of my Other Favourite Boy.

No comments: