Sunday, January 09, 2011

Capoeira and Garcia Lorca

No, Capoeira and famous playwright Lorca have no correlation except for concurrently plaguing my mind. Lorca doing the Capoeira is however, a thought. Perchance he liked to dance? (Rhyming rules, like Dr Seuss) In the bathroom when no one could see. That'll explain why he didn't do well in school. Spain and Brazil aren't that far apart anyway, Portuguese and Spanish pretty much spring from the same core.

If I sound incoherent, it might be due to the fact that it is pretty late. I really ought to be going to bed but I want to finish The House of Bernarda Alba, originally 'La Case De Bernada Alba'. first. Oh how I wish I read Spanish, it's such a pretty language. I like it more than French because it sounds more free-spirited and less haughty. I think it has something to do with my general impressions of the French and the Brazilians. I know Spanish isn't Portuguese, but I really haven't met any Spaniards yet, and Brazil!Brazil! WAS ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY AWESOME. I intend to, though.

Bernarda Alba is written by Federico Garcia Lorca, who was hung up with sexuality, sensuality and the like. According to the brief bio in the front of the book, his early poems centered mainly around "the conflict in his mind between sexual desire and Catholic sexual morality". I'm guessing it plagues the modern teenage Catholic boy too.

It's a short play and I think it's rather intriguing because of the harsh Catholic rituals that Bernarda subjects her household to. The hypocrisy of her actions strike me, as does her (SPOILER) youngest daughter's death. It's not so much poignant and sad as striking and painfully real, like white light. I suppose Lorca intends this, as he meant for Bernarda Alba to be a Naturalist play. It's similar to Miss Julie in the more obvious sense of the delineation of social classes and its repercussions, and more importantly, the destructive force of sexual passions which is underscored in both works.

Also, its tragic and the girls die. Whoopee.
I'm beginning to wonder if the mark of a internationally acclaimed playwright is the ability to write at least one play where the female protagonist offs herself. I mean honestly, its seems pervasive around the world. Strindberg was from Sweden and Lorca Spain. And Arcadia too (by Tom Stoppard), where Thomasina burns to death in a fire by the end of the play. Or perhaps it's just Europe.

Strange that I'm studying all three for Literature. Shakespeare is a nice change because he kills off the men instead. Eponymous Julius Caesar (who is stabbed in the back- figuratively, but I'm convinced literally too, because this is Shakespeare we're talking about), and King Lear dies.

Though in King Lear basically everyone dies except Edgar an Albany so I can't say for sure.

Its 2:22 on my computer clock, and I assume it's a portent so I shall be off!

No comments: